Monday, July 16, 2007

Today is the day I met Sayaka's parents...

I mentioned it in yesterday's blog, but today was D-day for meeting her parents.

She wanted me to meet her parents because she wants them to know how much she cares about me, and wants her parents to know we are serious (I am the first boyfriend to be introduced. And I am a foreigner! Oh noes!)!

It started out as just her mom and us, but her dad joined the itinerary last week. Sayaka got super nervous, I remained calm. She never had a good relationship with her dad and this news was a shock to her, that he wanted to join. I kept telling her he wants to do it because he loves her, and after today, I can see that.

We were late (as usual) to getting to the meeting place between Shin Moriyama and Toyota (Akaike), but when we arrived her parents were already waiting for us in their car. For what will be the most hilarious first comment I have ever received from anyone, her mom shouted "His face is small!". Mind you, every bit of conversation during this meeting, was in Japanese, unless between Sayaka and I.

We drove to Pastel, which is a Japanese Italian restaurant, where we KIND of planned to eat, I think. When we got there, Sayaka's mom, Sayaka, and I exited the car, so her dad could park, and we put our names down to be seated. It was a short wait, and all of us were seated to begin ordering.

We started with drinks. Sayaka and her mom, tea, Sayaka's dad and I, beer. We ordered our food, which came with all you can eat pizza (and majorly AWESOME pizza if I may add), and our drinks came and we did our compai cheers and began drinking. Our first pizza came and I was amazed at how good it was. Soon after, the cesar salad I ordered (yeah, I eat veggies now! Thank Sayaka for that!), and then the pasta. Now that the food came, it was time for what should have been awkward, the during meal conversation... DUN DUN DUN!!!

The conversation ranged from many things, mostly her father asking me a ton of questions, and her mom making a lot of funny comments. I was asked how long I plan on staying in Japan, if Sayaka could cook, am I happy with Sayaka living with me, did I have any problems with work with her living with me, can Sayaka REALLY cook, what do I need if I travel outside of Japan (?) and a few other questions. One funny moment came when I told them I love Japanese sports cars, and owned a 300ZX (I had to say Fairlady Zeto though), and her dad asked me if I used to drive my girlfriend in it. Her mom then jumped in and said I drove my grandma in it, then did an action of what it would look like for an old woman to be in a fast car, and then she just said, in English "Heaven! Heaven!", which seriously made me laugh my ass off! I don't know if it was the beer and being drunk, or what, but that was just hilarious to me!

It was funny during the meal, because I got full, and her mom and dad kept wanting me to eat and drink beer, and Sayaka was saying they want me to keep going because they don't like me, and they both kept correcting her and saying they liked me. This made me feel completely good and comfortable being there with their family. They seemed to really like me, and I could see it in Sayaka's face for the rest of the day, that she was insanely happy with the lunch date.

After eating, we went to pay, but I had to go to the bathroom first, you know, all the beer. When I came out though, Sayaka was waiting for me at the table, and her mom and dad went to go pay! Not only that, but her dad bought us some cake and pudding! Score, I am sooo in now!

Afterwards, her dad was too drunk to drive, so her mom drove us to the nearest station, and that became the official end of our lunch date.

I keep telling Sayaka how important it was for me to meet her family, and they both made me feel soooo great, regardless of the language and culture difference. They really made me feel comfortable, and I never felt awkward at all, not even when Sayaka went to go to the restroom. Interestingly, she told me it was silent whenever I would go to the bathroom! Too funny!

Just another notch on the ladder of my amazing life, that I am soooo thankful for. Thanks to Sayaka, her mom and father for such a great day. I am still smiling because of that!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on having the meeting of the folks go so well; maybe they liked you because you're face is so small

Anonymous said...

thats awesome man..that such a big part of a great rerationship lol. i didnt know your face was so smaruu!!

~Keith

DJ said...

I'm so envious lol. I'm glad that worked out well for you though.
Hit me up sometime.

Anonymous said...

wow. thats great. When i met my wifes parents the first time, I actually had a dinner with the moms and sister first. Its wasnt ackward or anything but I am shy so I dont talk much if I dont know you well. It worked out well, the mom came to love me but I didnt meet the pops yet. so when it was arranged for me to meet the pops we all had to act like it was the first time we met. It was funny. But the thing is my wifes pops is a drink and a little how do you say, hmm, a skinny boiterious(?) guy. we have a decent relationship but I wish we had more in common so we could talk more. I guess I have to open up more. well, anyway, good luck with the fam.

Easy

B

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Tomas!!
you have safely passed the first step! I'm proud of you. I couldn't do that for my ex.

Zen said...

Congrats, a big hurdle is past.