Tuesday, September 12, 2006

September 11, 2001, I think we DID forget...

So in my last year of 100% American residence, I definitely noticed the decline in extreme patriotism (read: sometimes hate. Stupid ignorant people) in California (can't speak for all of the US). I really think people did forget the most televised attack on American soil ever! Last night on Japanese TV, they had a REALLY good show on the events that day, and I mean they were in depth! LOADS of replays of the plane hitting the tower, the towers falling, and different stories of people in the tower who survived, and didn't survive.

One story was NEW to me and absolutley amazing! Some guy was in his office, on the floor the second plane hit! In the re-enactment, he was sitting at his desk after he made it to ground level and was told he could go back up to his office, since there was no threat to the second tower. He goes back up and is conducting business as usual and sees a plane heading RIGHT FOR HIS DAMN WINDOW!!! He gets under his desk and braces for impact. The plane hits and explodes into his office, missing him by about 10 feet! Long story short, he survived and made it to the ground floor and lives today! If I find his name I will post info and links to his story, but I never heard about that until 5 years later and in another country!

So to the point... Where were you, what were you doing, on the day America was attacked. My story will come later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in my senior year in high school. I heard about it in fourth peroid math class from my boy Matt. He told me that a plane hit one of the Towers and that there was a fire in the Pentagon, which he swore up and down that it was a little too convenient.

Me, being the genius that I am, said that it probably was a Cessna that hit the Tower. There was no word of what kind of plane slammed into it and no commercial airline pilot could be that drunk to do so.

And the fire in the Pentagon. Well, it was a fire. That's all.

Jump to Business class, where my friend Em tells me that the Towers fell down. You know the procedure, denial, then a whole bunch of shit, then acceptance. Well, that's what I went through.

Oh, and the whole class had to tell me that it was true (while calling me a dumb-ass because I said I had to see it to believe it, which is better than taking someones word about something).

The schools principal got on the PA and made an announcement saying that the country was attacked and some other shit. The other shit was about how there were planes still in the air and they could attack any time (smart move, jack-ass. Scare us).

I then found that impossible because they would pose a threat to the White House and other viable targets, and I figured that some jets would shoot them down.

The rest of the day was ho-hum. I was still in denial and hoped everyone got their facts wrong. I got home and saw the images the first time and thought that that must of been the most incredible thing I would ever see in my life.

For the rest of the year, my pops sifted through the rubble to find body parts like peices of gum or scalp.

And we also had to go to our cousins funeral. I thank God that he was on the floor the airplane hit, hopefully killing him instantly. Sounds fucked up, right?

And I saw the rubble at Ground Zero. Not so much fun. And that was at the time when the friends and family had those signs up looking for their missing loved ones.

T-Atoms said...

Damn man, being a New Yorker this hit closer to you, than anyone else I know. Crazy world we live in...

Anonymous said...

Yeah B, I often wonder how people from outside the Empire state feel.

Anonymous said...

Tommy, you can appreciate this. My Uncle Jon is a trader for a Germand based bank in NYC he was in his apartment on his way to the trading floor as the first tower was struck, now fortunately for him and all of us (his family) he never made it to the trading floor, 8th floor of the south tower. While all of this was happening, it was 6:45 am in Cali. I was in a hotel getting ready to teach, are you ready for this, First Responder Technician for the City of Escondido. I was expected to fly home that night but as you know all flights were grounded that day. So I took my rental car home, canceled the class and mourned with my family. My Uncle made it away from the towers collapse but spent a majority of his time volunteering and helping out. So, to dispute your BLOG headline, I disagree, you know me, I will never forget.